In the last few years several fluorescent poly-e- caprolactones [1-3] were designed, synthesized and subsequently used as nanoparticles , nanofibers  or scaffolds  in various prospective bioapplications. Meanwhile, our interest was directed toward electro - and photoactive moieties - functionalized poly/or oligo-e- caprolactone, that worked as key building blocks (macromonomers) for new grafted conjugated polymers or hybrid systems successfully used as biosensors [4,5] or regenerative medicine . In the same line, the present report is aimed to extend the investigations and to highlight the properties in solution (photophysical, self-assembling) of 3, 4-ethylenedioxythiophene-functionalized poly-e- caprolactone (EDOT-PCL) synthesized by ring-opening polymerization (ROP). The results of the studies in two organic solvents (chloroform and acetonitrile), having different selectivity in relation with the constitutive parts of EDOT-PCL, revealed its propensity for self-assembling, proved by Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) measurements, while fluorescent emission maxima in the range 310-430 nm, depending on the solvent were evidenced, as well. Moreover, its capability for spontaneous oxidant-free oligomerization, presumably due to and under the action of acidic character of CDCl3, serendipitously noticed during 13C-NMR registration, was subsequently validated by experiments performed in chloroform in the presence of hydrochloric acid. This is an interesting and applications-oriented useful observation which supports that recently demonstration of oxidant-free polymerization of common EDOT in the only presence of some organic acids  could also be extended to EDOT-containing more complex structure.
- Huang,S., Liu, S., Wang, K., Yang,C. Luo, Y., Zhang,Y., Cao, B., Kang, Y., Wang, M., Nanoscale, 2015,7, 889-895.
- H .J. Diao, K.Wang, H. Y. Long, M. Wang, S.Y. Chew, Adv. Healthcare Mater., 2016, 5, 529–533.
- S. Huang, K. Wang, S. Wang, Y. Wang, M. Wang, Adv. Mater. Interfaces, 2016, 1600259.
- B. G. Molina, A. D. Bendrea, L. Cianga, E. Armelin, Luis J. del Valle, I. Cianga, C. Alemán, Polym. Chem., 2017, 8, 6112–6122.
- B. G. Molina, L. Cianga, A.D. Bendrea, I. Cianga, C. Alemán, E. Armelin, Polym. Chem., 2019, 10, 5010–5022.
- B. G. Molina, A. D. Bendrea, S. Lanzalaco, L. Franco, L. Cianga, L. J. del Valle, J. Puiggali, P. Turon, E. Armelin, I. Cianga, C. Aleman, J. Mater Chem B, 2020, doi.org/10.1039/D0TB01259A
- E. Tomšík, I. Ivanko, J. Svoboda, I.Šeděnková, A. Zhigunov, J. Hromádková, J. Pánek, M. Lukešová, N. Velychkivska, L. Janisová, Macromol. Chem. Phys. 2020, 2000219.
- 80 Reads