Introduction: Hypertension is an important public health concern because of its associated morbidity, mortality and economic impact on the society. It is a significant risk factor for cardiovascular, cerebrovascular and renal complications. A number of national and international guidelines for the management of hypertension have been published. The Joint National Committee (JNC) in 2003 published a series of guidelines recommend the appropriate antihypertensive therapy based on the best available evidence. Objectives: This drug utilization study was intended to find out the preferred drug group prescribed either alone or in combinations and their adherence to the JNC7 guidelines. Methods and Material: It was the prospective cross-sectional study. Drug utilization data of 100 hypertensive patients, carried out in hospitals in Nepal. The patients who received antihypertensive drugs during their treatment period were reviewed and data were analyzed in SPSS V16. The prescribed drugs were compared with JNC VII guidelines. Results: It shows that, 40% patients were males & 60% were females. Most of female hypertensive patients (45.0%) were in the age group of > 60 years & most of male hypertensive patients (45.0%) were in the age group of 40 - 60 years. It was found that 45% of the patients were found with Stage 1 Hypertension, 32% of the patients were with Pre-hypertension stage, 17% of the patient with Stage 2 hypertension and the Normal stage was found to be 6%. The most frequently prescribed antihypertensive drugs groups were ARB (32.44%), ARB+ Thiazide (15.94%), Diuretics (11.59%), CCBs + Beta blockers (9.42%), CCB (8.7%). 39% received monotherapy while remaining 61% received combination therapy. 74% of the total prescription follows JNC VII guidelines. Conclusion: There is need of following such authentic guidelines in managing hypertension like chronic disease since these guidelines are based on various clinical trials and successful attainment of target BP in patients will be much easier by implementing them. National health policy makers should consider evaluation and treatment of hypertension as a right in public health system for better outcomes in terms of morbidity and mortality from hypertension.
Previous Article in event
Risk Assessment of Chemical Contaminants Ingestion with Nutrition of Children Aged 3–6 Years Old from the City of KazanPrevious Article in session
Next Article in event
Toxicology Classification of Pool Water Quality in Relation to Selected Pollutant Fractions Present in Washings SamplesNext Article in session
Prescribing Pattern of Anti-Hypertensive Drugs and Adherence to JNC VII Guideline
Published: 14 November 2018 by MDPI in The 1st International Electronic Conference on Environmental Health Sciences session Environmental Exposure and Health
Keywords: HTN; JNC VIIth Guidelines; anti-hypertensive; drug utilization; ARBs